Skip to main content

My Continuing Journey to a Growth Mindset

I had heard about the growth mindset before from my health and exercise professors. In health promotion classes we learned how to use it in order to help people move from a fixed mindset to a growth one in order to improve their health and move them away from a sedentary lifestyle. However, I had not heard of Carol Dweck, her TedTalk was very eye-opening for me and made me see the things I have done wrong. Without knowing college helped me slowly move from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset. Throughout my younger school years, I had always been a pretty smart student, I did the work that was assigned and studied for my tests but I never really felt challenged. I can see why Dr. Dweck says kids should feel challenged because since I didn't think the work was too hard I always would study and prepare for the minimum of what would get me the grade I wanted. When I entered college is when I first felt challenged, for the first time there was material that I just couldn't grasp or understand for the first time seeing it. I still remembered the first time I failed a test, I felt useless and like the dumbest person. I remember crying in my car and feeling like a failure. When I went to speak to my professor to see what I was doing wrong and he helped me fix my studying techniques and for the next test my grade improved it was not an A but a huge improvement.  Seeing my new grade I saw that I was not a failure but that my methods of studying and viewing school were the issues and with effort and hard work I could achieve what I want and nothing would just be given to me. I can't say I am completely cured of a fixed mindset, there are still times where I stress and feel like I can't do it and completely want to give up but I am trying to improve and grow an even bigger growth mindset.

Growth mindset: The power of our thoughts
From: The Public Square Academy twitter 

I really like the quote from above because I believe that our capabilities are as high and powerful as we think they are. Our thoughts have a lot of power and influence over our actions if we think we can't do something we most likely will find reasons to stop us from taking the challenge. However, if we think we can we will try to take all the steps necessary to prepare ourselves to take on the challenge. We have the power to lead our lives and decide who we will become and everything is determined in who we think we can be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Science,Travel and Hiking enthusiast!

City view of Guanajuato, Mexico Taken by me  Hello everyone!! My name is Monica Avila, I was born in Guanajuato, Mexico and moved to the U.S. when I was five, I can speak Spanish, English and a little bit of Portuguese (currently learning). I am a senior here at OU (Wow can't believe I'm saying senior time flies by so fast). I am a Health and Exercise Science major. I'll be graduating this spring, my plans so far are to take a year off and work and travel a little maybe go for masters in health promotion but I'm still not sure yet. In the future, I hope to go to grad school for physical therapy and work with either the elderly or children. I love science and learning about the human body. The way the human body works and manages to keep us alive is so amazing, learning all the mechanics of it is one of my favorite parts of my major. Therefore, some of my favorite classes have been Human Anatomy and Exercise Physiology. Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, B

Comment Wall

Image: Sunset and Mountains  Welcome! Please leave all your comments here๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ’œ Story Book: https://sites.google.com/view/monicasstorybook/home

Week 3 Story: Love at First Sight

Wedding of Prince Rama and Princess Sita as depicted in 'The Ramayana' Image Source: Infinite Eyes in flicker I stood there for a moment staring at my reflection, my whole body embellished in the finest clothes and jewels. I still couldn't believe it, today is the day. My body was filled with nerves and excitement all at once. Suddenly a large smile adorned my face as I remembered our first encounter and the events that came after... After we successfully helped Vishvamitra win in the battle against the rakshasas, Lakshmana kept bothering me to accompany him in exploring the city. All I wanted to do was rest after the long day but after a lot of convincing I finally gave in. We were accompanied by a hermit and finally set out to explore the city of Mithila ruled by the great King Janaka. The city was beautiful and full of life and the smells from the marketplace filled our noses, we walked for a while and later made our way to  King Janaka's palace, where w