Skip to main content

Extra Credit Reading Notes: Ramayana Part A


The Wedding of Rama and Sita; illustration from Nine Ideal Indian Women (1919)


Rama and SitaBibliography
Stories used: Sita, King Janaka, Rama Wins Sita, Rama and Sita's Wedding
Sources: The Divine Archer by F. J. Gould and Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie, Ramayana, The Epic of Rama, Prince of India, condensed into English verse by Romesh Dutt

Main Characters:
  Sita
     -avatar of the goddess Lakshmi (Vishnu's consort)
     -Daughter of King Janaka
  Rama
     -avatar of god Vishnu
     -darker skin toned
     -Son of Dasharatha
Sub-Characters
  Lakshmana
     -Rama's brother
  King Janaka
     -Ruler of Mithila
  Vishwamitra

Storyline Details
  1. The two princes set off to a walk through the crowded streets, full of marketplaces and caught the attention of all the people especially young girls for their handsomeness
  2. the two princes were dressed to the 9s
  3. their lodging was at the king's palace
  4. they were picking flowers and Princess Sita was also walking in the garden with her maids and that where Rama saw her first and fell in love
  5. King Janaka challenges all men to bend the bow of god Shiva and the one who achieves it can marry his daughter
  6. Many high nobles and strong warrior try but fail
  7. Rama is triumphant throw a loud roar in bending the bow and thus is able to marry Sita
  8. The wedding! Gandharvas sang and beautifully decorated with flowers, garlands
Quotes
"I know of a surety that there comes hither a lady whom I shall love beyond all things else in the world." Lifting his eyes he saw Sita, the king's daughter, and they loved each other then and forever (Rama when he first saw Sita)
"Great Mother, bright as the lightning, and giver of gifts to gods and men, thou knowest, as I bend before thy lotus feet, what is the wish of my heart." Sita to the goddess Bhavani in her temple"
“Behold the mighty bow which has been treasured by generations of kings. Many rajahs and warriors have endeavored in vain to bend it; even rakshasas and asuras have failed; the gods themselves quail before it. To the rajah who can bend this mighty weapon, I will give in marriage my daughter, the beauteous Sita.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Science,Travel and Hiking enthusiast!

City view of Guanajuato, Mexico Taken by me  Hello everyone!! My name is Monica Avila, I was born in Guanajuato, Mexico and moved to the U.S. when I was five, I can speak Spanish, English and a little bit of Portuguese (currently learning). I am a senior here at OU (Wow can't believe I'm saying senior time flies by so fast). I am a Health and Exercise Science major. I'll be graduating this spring, my plans so far are to take a year off and work and travel a little maybe go for masters in health promotion but I'm still not sure yet. In the future, I hope to go to grad school for physical therapy and work with either the elderly or children. I love science and learning about the human body. The way the human body works and manages to keep us alive is so amazing, learning all the mechanics of it is one of my favorite parts of my major. Therefore, some of my favorite classes have been Human Anatomy and Exercise Physiology. Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, B

Comment Wall

Image: Sunset and Mountains  Welcome! Please leave all your comments here๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ’œ Story Book: https://sites.google.com/view/monicasstorybook/home

Week 3 Story: Love at First Sight

Wedding of Prince Rama and Princess Sita as depicted in 'The Ramayana' Image Source: Infinite Eyes in flicker I stood there for a moment staring at my reflection, my whole body embellished in the finest clothes and jewels. I still couldn't believe it, today is the day. My body was filled with nerves and excitement all at once. Suddenly a large smile adorned my face as I remembered our first encounter and the events that came after... After we successfully helped Vishvamitra win in the battle against the rakshasas, Lakshmana kept bothering me to accompany him in exploring the city. All I wanted to do was rest after the long day but after a lot of convincing I finally gave in. We were accompanied by a hermit and finally set out to explore the city of Mithila ruled by the great King Janaka. The city was beautiful and full of life and the smells from the marketplace filled our noses, we walked for a while and later made our way to  King Janaka's palace, where w