Skip to main content

Week 13: A Mother's Love

Gandhari

A Mother's Love

Darkness, tears, suffering, even with a blindfold over my eyes the disastrous future that waits for my family is crystal clear to my eyes.  The day I was blessed by Lord Shiva with one-hundred sons I thought it was the best day ever but why do I keep having this bad feeling. Lord Shiva must have been planning a joke on me. The day I gave birth, my baby was no baby but a shapeless lump. "Oh my lord, what have I done to deserve such thing" I screamed in sadness to the sky. I was ecstatic when Vyasa said he could help me, and he was able to turn that lump into one-hundred beautiful children. I heard whispering and gasps when people in the place saw my kids, they must be so surprised at their beauty, I thought. Years went by, and our sons grew to wonderful and strong men.

However, one day we received news that Kunti was coming back to the palace with her five sons. I grew worried their presence would bring no good to my family. My predictions were correct as soon as the Pandavas arrived my sons were cast away by the people. Everyone only cared about how great and mighty the Pandavas were. I couldn't understand, my sons were the most handsome, the strongest, and righteous men. Why were they not as well-received as the Pandavs? There was something about the way Duryodhana spoke about the Pandavas that made my skin shiver but for now I decided to avoid that feeling.

A women loud screams were heard through the palace. I decided to follow the noise, the closer I got the more clear her voice got. "This is no court of justice, I've been mistreated. disrespected and dishonored and therefore as the fire-born princess, I cast a cur.." Draupadi! Yes, that's her voice I ran as fast as I could for I knew the strength and disaster a fire-borns curse can cause. "STOPP! Draupadi" I screamed fearing her curse I convinced Dhritarashtra to give them back everything they had lost in the game of dice. The Pandavas had spoken their plans of revenge and I feared for the safety of my family. At last, Dhritarashtra agreed with me and gave them back everything. My relief only lasted a short time as Duryodhana was not pleased and urged them back and as Yudhistrthtira lost another game him, his wife and brothers were forced in exile once again. There that day is when I felt Duryodhana's evilness and envious feeling towards the Pandavas. I knew his war with the Pandavas will not end well.

My fears and predictions came true. The Pandavas had declared war on my sons and just like that, a war between family began. I wish I could bless my sons but I could only bless the righteous side and I knew deep inside my heart my sons were not on the righteous side.I smell of death was filled my nose, I could feel the hundreds of bodies lying lifeless before me. "My sons!" I cried. The war was over and in a short few days, I went from having one hundred sons to zero sons. I found Duryodhana's body. "Oh my sweet son, if only you had not acted upon your feelings of jealousy, If only I as a mother had given you more love" Why my son, I wept. Even though I knew they wrong in their fight I still wished for sons to live because in a mother's eyes her sons are always good.

Author's note: It is based on the book Gandhari: A Mother Blinded by Love: Volume 44. I wanted to write a story said in Gandhari's s point of view especially herself as a mother. I think sometimes she can be overlooked but her devotion to her husband and sons is very admirable. Even though most who read Mahabharata will see her sons as the evil ones, she as her mother refuses to, and even even though she feels Duryodhana's evilness she still loves him and all his brothers and stands by their side.



Comments

  1. Hey Monica,
    This was a great story of a mother who has an unconditional amount of love for her children. You are obviously a very talented writer. From your word choice, tone, ability to set a tone and more you absolutely killed it with this story. I feel like I could visualize everything happening and like got a mother's perspective throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monica!
    You are an incredible writer. And from the beginning of this story, you had me hooked with great use of imagery and other literary devices. I was particularly impressed with how you really invoked the pain and emotion of Gandhari. When reading the epic, I almost felt like Gandhari was blinded by her sons, but I think she only had intents of loving them unfailingly despite everything. Incredible work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Science,Travel and Hiking enthusiast!

City view of Guanajuato, Mexico Taken by me  Hello everyone!! My name is Monica Avila, I was born in Guanajuato, Mexico and moved to the U.S. when I was five, I can speak Spanish, English and a little bit of Portuguese (currently learning). I am a senior here at OU (Wow can't believe I'm saying senior time flies by so fast). I am a Health and Exercise Science major. I'll be graduating this spring, my plans so far are to take a year off and work and travel a little maybe go for masters in health promotion but I'm still not sure yet. In the future, I hope to go to grad school for physical therapy and work with either the elderly or children. I love science and learning about the human body. The way the human body works and manages to keep us alive is so amazing, learning all the mechanics of it is one of my favorite parts of my major. Therefore, some of my favorite classes have been Human Anatomy and Exercise Physiology. Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, B

Comment Wall

Image: Sunset and Mountains  Welcome! Please leave all your comments here๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ’œ Story Book: https://sites.google.com/view/monicasstorybook/home

Week 3 Story: Love at First Sight

Wedding of Prince Rama and Princess Sita as depicted in 'The Ramayana' Image Source: Infinite Eyes in flicker I stood there for a moment staring at my reflection, my whole body embellished in the finest clothes and jewels. I still couldn't believe it, today is the day. My body was filled with nerves and excitement all at once. Suddenly a large smile adorned my face as I remembered our first encounter and the events that came after... After we successfully helped Vishvamitra win in the battle against the rakshasas, Lakshmana kept bothering me to accompany him in exploring the city. All I wanted to do was rest after the long day but after a lot of convincing I finally gave in. We were accompanied by a hermit and finally set out to explore the city of Mithila ruled by the great King Janaka. The city was beautiful and full of life and the smells from the marketplace filled our noses, we walked for a while and later made our way to  King Janaka's palace, where w